About this Course
Learn the most effective steps to prevent attacks and detect adversaries with actionable techniques that you can directly apply when you get back to work. Learn tips and tricks from the experts so that you can win the battle against the wide range of cyber adversaries that want to harm your environment.
Is SEC401: Security Essentials Bootcamp Style the right course for you?
STOP and ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you fully understand why some organizations get compromised and others do not?
- If there were compromised systems on your network, are you confident that you would be able to find them?
- Do you know the effectiveness of each security device and are you certain that they are all configured correctly?
- Are proper security metrics set up and communicated to your executives to drive security decisions?
If you do not know the answers to these questions, SEC401 course will provide the information security training you need in a bootcamp-style format that is reinforced with hands-on labs.
Anyone who works in security, is interested in security, or has to understand security should take this course, including:
- Security professionals who want to fill the gaps in their understanding of technical information security
- Managers who want to understand information security beyond simple terminology and concepts
- Operations personnel who do not have security as their primary job function but need an understanding of security to be effective
- IT engineers and supervisors who need to know how to build a defensible network against attacks
- Administrators responsible for building and maintaining systems that are being targeted by attackers
- Forensic analysts, penetration testers, and auditors who need a solid foundation of security principles so they can be as effective as possible at their jobs
- Anyone new to information security with some background in information systems and networking.
At Course Completion
Upon completing this course, students will be able to:
- Apply what you learned directly to your job when you go back to work
- Design and build a network architecture using VLANs, NAC, and 802.1x based on advanced persistent threat indicators of compromise
- Run Windows command line tools to analyze the system looking for high-risk items
- Run Linux command line tools (ps, ls, netstat, etc.) and basic scripting to automate the running of programs to perform continuous monitoring of various tools
- Install VMWare and create virtual machines to create a virtual lab to test and evaluate tools/security of systems
- Create an effective policy that can be enforced within an organization and design a checklist to validate security and create metrics to tie into training and awareness
- Identify visible weaknesses of a system using various tools and, once vulnerabilities are discovered, cover ways to configure the system to be more secure
- Build a network visibility map that can be used for hardening of a network - validating the attack surface and covering ways to reduce that surface by hardening and patching
- Sniff open protocols like telnet and ftp and determine the content, passwords, and vulnerabilities using WireShark.
SEC401 Security Essentials Bootcamp Style covers all of the core areas of security and assumes a basic understanding of technology, networks, and security. For those who are brand new to the field with no background knowledge, SEC301: Intro to Information Security would be the recommended starting point. While SEC301 is not a prerequisite, it will provide the introductory knowledge that will help maximize the experience with SEC401.